A courageous new beginning (1945-1990)
After World War II, a handful of survivors of the Shoah returned to the Münsterland region and the city of Münster. Siegfried and Else Goldenberg made space in their apartment available as a prayer room and also worked to ensure that the cemetery was repaired. A bomb had produced a crater and destroyed many gravestones. The roof of the mourning hall had collapsed in the spring of 1947; building materials were hard to come by. On February 3, 1948, the Goldenbergs wrote to the City of Münster's Department of Public Works on behalf of the Jewish community to inform it that:
“between December 24, 1947 and January 30, 1948 the mourning hall at the Jewish cemetery was broken into. The windows of the memorial hall were smashed. All the wood stored there, which was going to be used for foundations, was stolen. 2 large oak candlesticks and other religious furnishings were also stolen. In addition, the small side door was broken open and the hall was soiled. In the cemetery itself, some fir trees were cut down and a number were uprooted, no doubt to be used as Christmas trees. Though the burgling and desecration of our cemetery were presumably committed for the purpose of gathering firewood, the theft of these objects from a religious site is a sign of unbelievable depravity. …” (Stadtarchiv, Amt 65, no. 225)
The Department of Public Works responded on February 7, 1948 with a letter to the head of the police department:
“Due to the sharp decline in the size of the Jewish community in Münster in the recent past, the Jewish cemetery on Roxelerstrasse no longer enjoys the necessary degree of care and supervision. As a result, the plantings and the ceremonial [sic] room were recently damaged by unknown perpetrators. We therefore ask for this circumstance to be taken into account and call for close supervision to prevent further misdeeds.” (Stadtarchiv, Amt 65, no. 225)
This correspondence show the hardship people were experiencing at the time, but also documents the ruthlessness with which the Jewish community’s burial ground was pillaged; moreover, it shows the authorities’ inability to express the Shoah in appropriate words – and, at least, their willingness to protect the Jewish cemetery from further attacks.

As far as we can tell from the gravestones, the first burial did not take place until 1954. By then, the community had been able to set up a prayer room in the Marks-Haindorf Foundation on Kanonengraben and also held the first two bar mitzvah celebrations there (those for Uri Frankenthal and Rolf Wilms). Josefine Böhm passed away on November 26, 1954. Her gravestone (L82) is an example of the simple design that would also characterize the stones of the years to come: only the name plus the birth and death dates are recorded. The only traditional Jewish symbols are the Star of David, the opening formula (“here rests”) and the concluding blessing, as it belongs to a Hebrew inscription (“May her soul be bound in the bundle of life”).
Time and again, the leaders of the community had to look after elderly and sick members who no longer had any relatives in Germany and also had to take care of their burial. Ella Leffmann (L1), for example, had remained unmarried and died in January 1959 in the hospital of the missionary sisters in Münster-Hiltrup. During her stay there, which lasted several months, Mrs. Goldenberg and other members of the israelitischer Frauenverein (Jewish women's association) visited her repeatedly and also reached out to her niece in London.
In an exchange of letters dating from the spring and summer of 1962 between Mrs. Goldenberg and Heinz Joachim of Beverly Hills, Heinz – the son of Paula Joachim – thanks Mrs. Goldenberg for looking after his mother and reports that he has ordered an entry visa to the USA so that his mother can join him as soon as she has recovered. Sadly, Paula Joachim died already in September, (R28) so her son was only able to attend her funeral.

Ten burials took place between 1954 and 1959, and the number scarcely rose in the following decades. Like all Jewish communities in the Federal Republic, Münster’s remained small during this period. In any case, hardly any space remained for further burials in conformity with religious rules. The location of the graves shows that there were initially a few free spaces in the left-hand area just behind the enclosing wall. That, for example, is the site of Ella Leffmann's grave, and also that of Salomon Domb, the community's first cantor and teacher (L3). Then there were also a few spaces to the left of the mourning hall.

Thus in October 1962 the Jewish community bought another strip of land almost 3 meters broad. This was located to the north behind the mourning hall; it was part of the Blücherkaserne barracks plot and previously belonged to the Münster Oberfinanzdirektion (finance directorate). The seller demanded that the boundary be secured by a wall surmounted by fencing and barbed wire. In 1969, all the walls surrounding the cemetery were repaired.


In the decades between 1950 and 1990, the community had to bid farewell to some of its post-Shoah founders. The gravestone commemorating Siegfried (L155) and Else Goldenberg (L155) recalls that both survived their deportation to Riga and other forced labor camps, but also that their young daughter Miriam was murdered in Riga. Siegfried Goldenberg was the elected head of the Jewish community right up to 1975, supported at all times by his wife Else. In 1975, they received the Paulus-Plakette – an award from the City of Münster in recognition of their services.


The married couple Bernhard (L192) and Eva Brilling (L195) retained the tradition of separate graves. They came to Münster in 1957. Having found a job here at the Institutum Iudaicum, Bernhard Brilling continued his research into the history of the Jews in Westphalia and Münsterland. In a moving epitaph, Eva Brilling states that she – like the first woman in paradise – “was his helper who stood by him”.

A simple grave in the left-hand section of the burial ground, close to the enclosing wall and in an area where some vacant spaces could still be found, commemorates the cantor of the community, Dr. Zvi Sofer (R19; see also https://www.jmberlin.de/sammlerbiografie-zwi-sofer).

The memorial stone of the Rappoport family (L17), which tells the story of this family over two generations and three continents and already reaches into the new millennium, is impressive.
Literature:
Gisela Möllenhoff / Rita Schlautmann-Overmeyer, article on Münster in: Historisches Handbuch der jüdischen Gemeinschaften in Westfalen und Lippe, vol. 2, Münster 2008, pp. 487-513, here p. 509.
Sharon Fehr (ed.), Erinnerung und Neubeginn. Die jüdische Gemeinde Münster nach 1945. Ein Selbstporträt, Münster 2013, esp. pp. 205-211 on Münster's Jewish cemeteries (medieval cemetery, Einsteinstrasse cemetery, burial ground below the Christian cemetery Münster-Hiltrup since 2002).
Unpublished sources:
Stadtarchiv Münster, Amt 65, No. 225
Synagogenarchiv Münster, Mappe Fr. Goldenberg
Synagogenarchiv Münster, Mappe Friedhof Roxeler Straße
(compiled by Marie-Theres Wacker)